Mei Hua Chinese School is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit organization. Our mission is to educate people about Chinese language and culture regardless of age, race, gender, ethnic background, religion or nationality, and to raise the community’s interest in Chinese language and culture.
Class time is on Sundays from 3:00 – 5:00 pm.
Location is Bellingham Chinese Christian Church, 2200 F St, Bellingham, WA 98225.
Please accompany your children to their classroom on the lower level of the building.
Please arrive on time and pick up your children promptly at 5pm.
Children will be encouraged to use only Mandarin while they are at Mei Hua School. Teachers and administrators will also nurture and foster this cultural expectation to maximize the experience for everyone in attendance.
Children and adults are expected to speak and treat each other with respect.
Basic rules for each class include:
1. Have a learning attitude and have fun!
2. Come prepared with previous material reviewed.
3. Speak in turn by raising one's hand.
4. Hands and feet are kept to oneself.
5. Bring your own water bottle. Snacks are permitted only during the 10-15 minute break time. Please avoid any nut products during this time.
6. If three warnings are given and misbehaviors continue, parents will be contacted.
The safety of students, parents and staff, classes and all other school activities will be canceled when there is inclement weather and/or snow on a school day. The administrators will make this decision based on weather forecast, road conditions and other information. They will inform teachers to help disseminate this information.
Cancellation announcement will be made by 10 am on the day of classes by email.
Mei Hua Chinese School is a co-op school run almost entirely by volunteers (all but the teachers). To keep our school operating and our tuition affordable for all families, we highly encourage your contributions to the school.
Possible ways that you can get involved include:
1. Mei Hua School holds an annual fundraising event, Mid-Autumn or Moon Festival celebration during the end of September or early October. Set up, clean up, bake sale coordination or donations, performance suggestions, audiovisual equipment rental, gift card or experience donations are some of the ways that we welcome your help!
2. Share your favorite Chinese knowledge or stories, China travel experiences with pictures, and Chinese culinary or craft skills during any one of the classes or holiday events. All of the children and adults would enjoy hearing your personal stories about what you love or what you know about Chinese language or culture. We are Mei Hua families!
3. Join the leadership team. We are always looking for more help from others to spread the roles and responsibilities across the school. More hands make for light work!